Grace Assembly @ Chipley, first known as Friendship Assembly of God, was set in order on January 27, 1930. Rev. R.E. Taylor, who was a pioneer in the early years of the Pentecostal movement, had been baptized in the Holy Spirit at a revival at a Freewill Baptist church in Slocomb, AL in 1908, and later brought the Pentecostal movement to Chipley. There were eighteen charter members and the Rev. O.O. Hughen was elected as the pastor.
The vision for the local Pentecostal church was birthed in home prayer meetings. People were hungry for the outpouring of God’s Spirit and began meeting in homes. After a few years of home meetings, Steve Register and his wife gave the property to build the first church building in 1933. The building was begun in 1934. As construction began, items were donated to build. There was initially no money for the project, but the people built by faith and worked hard, selling dinner plates and giving of their own time and resources to fulfill the vision God had given them.
In 1953 the name was changed from Friendship Assembly to First Assembly of God. In the early 1970’s, the church building was expanded to include more Sunday School and office space, and in 1986, a new Sanctuary and Fellowship Hall were dedicated. Through the years, First Assembly saw many changes in the physical buildings, but the desire for the outpouring of God’s Spirit was-and is- still apparent. In 2007, the congregation made the decision to change the church name from First Assembly of God to “Grace Assembly @ Chipley”.